Usually, coffee drinks are made by brewing hot water. Sometimes we add milk or cream to the coffee. So what is cold brew coffee? And how to make Cold brew coffee at home? On hot days it is great to drink cold brew coffee which is steeped in cold or room temperature water.
You can have a perfect glass of cold brew at home easily. Then you will never have to buy cold brew coffee from the store again. You can have a cooling and refreshing caffeinated beverage by drinking cold brew coffee.
What should you know about Cold brew coffee? What are the benefits you can get?
Actually, it is not the same as drip coffee or hot coffee. And cold brew coffee never gets hot.
Also, it is slow-brewed and steeped over 12-15 hours. Cold-brew coffee may boost your metabolism and lift your mood. Actually, the caffeine in cold brew coffee can improve your state of mind. Also, caffeine could be used as a nutritional supplement to brain function in older adults. It not only may be easier on your stomach than hot coffee but also may lower your risk of heart disease. Cold-brew coffee can help you to live longer.
What is so special about cold brew coffee?
You can get health benefits for a healthier lifestyle by drinking cold brew coffee. Cold brew coffee is over 67% less acidic than hot brewed coffee. So it is lower in acidity. Cold brew coffee is sweeter and smoother because the coffee grounds aren’t exposed to high temps. Not only that, cold brew coffee usually tastes more flavorful and less bitter.
Also, the caffeine in cold brew coffee can increase how many calories you burn at rest. So this way makes it easier to lose or maintain weight.
Not only that, there is another important thing. This cold brew recipe contains fewer total antioxidants than hot coffee. But it is full of compounds that have high antioxidant activity. Actually, antioxidants help prevent diseases that can reduce your lifespan.
Tips to make cold brew coffee
It is very important to know how to make cold brew at home. Actually, it is amazingly simple to make by yourself.
If you try at once you will wonder how easy it is to make. Not only that you can drink it without refined sugar and colorings. Once you try this recipe a few times it will become second nature.
Cold brew coffee recipe
There are some easy steps to make a cold brew at home. This cold brew coffee recipe will help you to make it easier. So what are the ingredients, special equipment, and instructions?
Ingredients and special equipment:
We need 1 cup (113 grams) of whole coffee beans and 4 cups (907 grams ) water as ingredients. Then what about the equipment?
We want a coffee or spice grinder, small strainer, cheesecloth or cotton flour sack cloth, 1 ½ quart glass, ceramic or plastic container, and bottle or jar for storing cold-brew. Next, you can make cold brew coffee according to the cold brew recipe.
What are the steps to make cold brew coffee?
- First, you have to grind the coffee beans on the coarsest setting on your grinder, or in short 1- second pulses in a spice grinder. And we don’t want finely ground coffee beans which is what you’d use for drip coffee. The grounds should look like coarse cornmeal.
- Next, you can combine the ground coffee and water. So you have to transfer the coffee grounds to the jar or any other glass storage container you are using to make the homemade cold brew coffee.
- Usually, it is good to add four cups of water to one cup of ground coffee beans. If you want more cold brew coffee just double this. You have to use filtered water for the cleanest cup of cold brew. You can stir gently with a long-handled spoon. So you can make sure the grounds are thoroughly saturated with water.
- Then stir to incorporate and you can steep the coffee in pretty much any container. Also, you can use a mason jar or French press.
- Steep the coffee overnight in the fridge. You have to cover the jar with a lid or plate and let it steep for about 12 hours.
- After that strain, the coffee concentrates and transfer the cold brew to a jar. The jar must be cleaned. You have to line a small strainer with cheesecloth or flour sackcloth and place over a large measuring cup or bowl. And pour the coffee through the strainer.
- So make your ice coffee and transfer the coffee to a small bottle. You can store cold brew coffee in the fridge for up to a week. You could go a little longer. But usually cold brew coffee concentrate will keep fresh for a week and the flavor is best when consumed in the first week.
If you’d like Cold brew coffee stronger, you can brew it longer up to 24 hours. But 12-15 hours are enough. If you want to get the cold brew coffee in a fridge as soon as it is done filtering to get it cold as quickly as possible. But if you don’t like to steep cold brew coffee in the fridge room temp is fine.
How to serve cold brew coffee?
You can dilute the coffee with as much water or milk. And serve over ice or warm for a few minutes in the microwave. Now you can enjoy the cold brew coffee over ice or with your favorite milk or creamer with your family.
It is great to serve this up over ice or diluting 50/50 with water. Also, you can add your favorite milk such as almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk for a definitely thirst-quenching beverage.
The creaminess is your personal decision. If you like you can add more milk you can do it. You can make top off your glass of iced chai with milk too.